Sunday, 7 December 2014

Flow of the environment

Today we started a new unit in college on level design, we were given the brief and it told us we needed to create a block out death match or capture the flag map, So to begin this new unit I first started with a mind map to get some designs and ideas rolling about, first I started with was what a level contains in other games, whether this will be hazards, traversal aids or hindrances, vehicles, weapons, pickups, choke points etc. This helped while planning, because it allowed me to have a small view of what I could put into my level and will also help by optimizing the gameplay by cross referencing the assets with other levels I have played and enjoyed.

Once my mind maps were created I looked at a presentation on the architecture of flow this gave me some insight on how to lay out a death match map and capture the flag map. The DM map is shaped in a figure of 8 because it keeps the gameplay nicely paced, and the CTF map is symmetrical this stops one team from having the advantage when gaining control of the flag. The reason behind looking at the presentation so I could create the best map I could for different game modes because if the player doesn't like the map for any reason they won’t want to play so I’m trying to make sure that won’t happen.

Once I did this I began designing a block out my level with a top down illustration of what I wanted, once I was happy with a design I started to plan out spawn point for the match in the level. The reason I picked these positions is because they were close to where the action should take place so the pacing of the gameplay wouldn't be affected but not close enough so you’re in immediate danger when spawning in.


When I looked back on my design I believe I should of tried to come up with a few more ides before deciding on one just in case I could of created a better map also I should of made plans for weapon placements around the map and maybe an extra level to bring so more dynamic gameplay into the design, but I think my choices for player spawns worked very well in theory, once I build the block out I will be able to test them for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment