I first began to work on my level’s lightning in terms of its
navigation, so I selected key areas around the map and lit them with brightly
coloured lights to show players where to go. I tried to do this in the places I
thought it would affect the flow of gameplay the most
Why did I do this?
I did this because in previous peer reviews it came up that
navigation was an issue and players resorted to sticking to the middle level of
my map despite there being 3 levels so I wanted to make people more inclined to
explore.
How to improve this?
The way I improved this navigation was to colour coordinate
the entrances and exits on each level so the player knows exactly where the
paths will lead when traversing the map.
I then went on to provide lights to show off the
pickups/breadcrumbs in my level, this is also a key part to the navigation.
Why did I do this?
I did this because sometimes in the less lit areas of the
map players didn’t notice pickups and weapons because the bright lights used
for the navigation took the attention away.
How to improve this?
I improved this issue by diming the navigation lights down
to find a nice balance where they are bright enough to see but not bright
enough to steal attention away from exploration, also I colour coordinated so
that all the pickups/breadcrumbs were all coloured green which is usually a neutral
colour.
Directional Light
I didn’t really edit the directional light because the whole
of my level is inside/ underground, so I didn’t want any natural light in the map.
Why did I do this?
I did this because the map is underground so there wouldn’t be
any natural light, plus I wanted my level to have a feeling of confinement and
for the lights to really stand out in the dark to further increase flow in the
level
How to improve this?
A way I could improve this would be to either have section
in the roof where bits of natural light could shine through to give an extra
layer of lighting, or to possibly have a way to get to the surface above the
level and have the natural directional light at work up there.
This is the same for the sky box texture and the rays/shadows
cast by the sun/Moon, due to my map being underground I didn’t need to consider
these as they aren’t a factor that affects my map.
Enemy Presentation
I then went on to add the last of my lights into the level
and these were the lights that showed spawn placements in the middle section of
the map,
Why I did this?
I did this because the middle section of my map had the
greatest number of spawns and they were in corners with no light so this made
it hard when being attacked by enemies so I decided to add lights to show the
locations in the corners.
How to improve this?
I made the lights dim just so they showed location but not
enough to draw focus from the middle sections map were most of the fighting
will take place and also so that the eye won’t be taken away from the
navigational lights
Creating Light
maps
When it came to creating light maps to increase the lighting
detail on my map and the block out pieces I needed to make sure that the UV’s
were not overlapping in anyway and the best way to do this was to make the grid
power of 2 to match UDK and the Automatic map the UV’s which was fine because
the objects were basic in shape.
Why I did this?
The reason for making light maps was to stop misshapen
shadows appearing on my object when baking the lights this was cause by bad
light maps being used on the objects.
How to improve this?
Well I improved this by spacing out the UV’s on the objects
and then baked the lights again, but I didn’t originally know this so when I first
seen this issue I didn’t know what to do, so I searched the internet for a solution
to the problem that’s when I found this website http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/udk/udk-lightmaps-03-how-to-fix-light-shadow-lightmap-bleeds-and-seams.php
When I first started I didn’t use the production lighting to
bake my lights in UDK
Why I did this?
I did this because at the beginning I wanted the lights
working before I got them looking nice and not using light mass and production
lighting increase the speed at which it bakes the lighting.
How I improved this?
Once I was happy with how the lights worked I then went on
to bake the lights in a higher setting and played around with the colours as I spoke
about in my navigation section.









No comments:
Post a Comment