Functional lights are used to create lighting set ups that can
create flickering lights, create fake shadows, create dynamics lights and many
other functions. Using those lights is cheaper than using an emissive map on a
mesh to create shadows or creating a certain light pattern.
I have used functional lighting on my point lights to cast flickering
light effects on my walls. I used this functional light to try and create a
dark sci-fi atmosphere for my level, after a few tests I got the flicker to how
I wanted it and applied it to others around my level so it wasn’t a singular flickering
light. This did get the tone I was aiming for with my level, but since then I have
decided to take the flickering light out, because it’s a death match map it doesn't need the flickering lights for the atmosphere and they became more of a
distraction than an aid to design of the level.
Since deciding to take the flickering lights out my level I have been happier with it, because the lights aren't there to annoy in the view port
while trying to shoot bots and this helps with the flow of the level.


No comments:
Post a Comment